Additional lockdown reading & writing opportunities
Free online graphic novels (comics), audiobooks and eBooks from Lambeth Libraries.
Free online reading books from Story Online
Black Lives Matter Virtual Library
Free stories read aloud by authors
Free online story telling and drawing tutorials from Book Trust
Literacy at Home
Reading and Writing at Heathbrook
At Heathbrook we are passionate about creating a language rich environment in which children’s literacy can thrive. We believe in using creative approaches to teaching literacy, putting quality children’s literature at the heart of all learning.
‘pupils across the school are enthusiastic about books and read regularly for pleasure’ [Ofsted]
Reading and writing is underpinned by a whole school commitment to oracy. We have worked closely with the Communication Trust to further enhance staff skills and communication-friendly learning environments. To further support children with speech and language difficulties we buy in a Speech and Language Therapist and Literacy Lab.
Please read our Intent, Implementation and Impact statement.
Why do we use Reading Eggs at Heathbrook?
- It is based on solid scientific research and is highly effective in improving reading proficiency scores
- It supports personalised learning as tasks are set for the pupil by their teacher
- It enables parents to engage with their child’s learning
- The programme includes over 2000 online books levelled according to ability
- This multi-award winning resource uses interactive and animated activities to enable children to develop key reading skills from decoding to comprehension.
Pupils can access Reading Eggs via computers, tablets and smartphones.
At Heathbrook, we use Letters and Sounds to help us to teach phonics in conjunction with Jolly Phonics and Thrass.
Why do we use Fast Phonics at Heathbrook?
- It uses the proven power of systematic, synthetic phonics instruction to boost reading skills fast
- It particularly helps develop the key skills of letter sound recognition, blending and spelling
- It is ideal for emergent readers from the age of 5 upwards
- The programme uses stages to allow learners to progress at their own pace
- It enables parents to engage with their child’s learning.
Pupils can access Fast Phonics (through the Reading Eggs website) via computers, tablets and smartphones.